It can start with an offhand comment from a partner … like “Eeeeewww when did you get so hairy!” Or perhaps it’s the slow realisation that you have hair sprouting from your ears, back hair that looks like a bathroom mat or itchy ingrown beard hairs and dry scaly skin…
Before you know it, you are secretly googling laser hair removal and surreptitiously checking out every salon and clinic you pass …. and shock, horror, the average laser and skin care clinic is full of… women!!
Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but sometimes you just want a little um, privacy.
Men’s Den is a clinic designed with men in mind and we don’t mind sharing the inside info and everything you need to know before you step through the door.
For a start, there are no bright lights, soft music or pastel colours in our waiting room, just comfy couches, a coffee machine and even a fridge for soft drinks, water and perhaps a beer if it’s after 5pm. Bonus, no one can see in from outside so your secrets are safe with us.
You start with a consultation with your clinician who will fill in your details and give you a rundown on what’s involved in your treatment and check whether you have any allergies. We’ll also give you a heads up about the pain factor which might range from none to tingles to stings, depending on the treatment. Then you head off to the treatment room, your clinician will tell you what to take off or not and leave you to get changed. So, let’s talk turkey
What to take off or not at a Laser Clinic….
- Facials and Facial Laser – first rule, you don’t need to take everything off if you are having a facial…trust us, it’s happened! If you are having a facial treatment, most guys remained fully clothed but feel free to take off your shirt if you feel more comfortable
- Upper Body Laser – you will need to take off your shirt and it’s a good idea not to wear white or pale shirts (see what not to wear)
- Lower Body Laser – this is where the embarrassment factor ramps up! You need to take off your pants, underpants, shoes and socks. Because of the lasers (and risk of fire) we can’t provide you with paper underpants but there is a towel to preserve your modesty until we get started
- Full Body Laser – this is where we need a clothing “strategy”. Because the laser needs a cool room to operate, our air-conditioning is set to 19 degrees in the laser rooms which means it can get chilly. We recommend you wear tracksuit pants and bring a jumper so when we change ends at half time at least half of you will be warm
What not to wear to a Mens Laser Clinic …
- If you are having a laser treatment be aware that your clinician is going to draw on you with a pink highlighter. Yep, it’s a thing … we need to draw a grid so we laser each area methodically and we use pink as it stands out the best against all skin colours. The highlighter is removable (aloe vera is recommended) but it might stain a white or light shirt so bring a T shirt or wear something dark
- We also recommend you don’t wear tight clothes after a laser treatment as it can cause irritation so dress casual or bring a tracksuit to change into
Four Really Embarrassing Questions – Answered
At the risk of sounding like the “Embarrassing Bodies” clinic we know that there are a number of scenarios that clients worry about, so let’s get down to the nitty gritty
- What if I have smelly feet?
- You’ll be lying on a treatment table so you can take off shoes/and socks if you like, if you have stinky/smelly feet, we totally understand you might like to keep them on.
- What if I snore, splutter or drool?
- Snoring may drive your partner nuts, but we take it as a compliment if you fall asleep. So, if you suddenly snore yourself awake don’t worry, it won’t be mentioned
- Who touches what?
- For most treatments your clinicians will need to touch you, this might range from a facial massage to injections or using a laser. When it comes to treatments like Brazilians you are in charge of moving your private bits… think of us as the “flight attendants” who will tell you to move to the left or right etc
- What if I get an erection?
- We know this is the biggest embarrassing question of all… what if I? Trust us, we totally understand that this is a purely biological reaction to environmental stimulus. If you think about it, Lasers involve both heating and cooling sensations so it’s no wonder that biology kicks in. So, if nature does its thing, we are not going to draw attention to it.
We hope this takes some of the mystery out of what happens behind closed doors at a Men’s Laser and skin care clinic. If you’d like to know more check out our website. www.mens-den.com.au
Men’s Den is the brainchild of Elyse Sinclair. A unique men’s clinic in Northwest Sydney with a focus on the latest skin and body treatments ranging from laser hair removal and skin care to medical and cosmetic injectables.